Book: Surfer of the Century - The Life of Duke Kahanamoku by Ellie Crowecategories: Book, Racial Discrimination, Duke Kahanamoku, Middlegrade Biography, Olympic Swimmer, Surfer of Century, Black History, Hawaii, Surfing
Ellie Croweabout this book: Who was named the Surfer of the Century? Read about Duke Kahanamoku's determination, courage in adversity, and good sportmanship as he struggles to become the fastest swimmer in the world and also teach the world how to ride big waves.
• This strikingly illustrated picture-book biography celebrates Duke Kahanamoku, who broke records as an Olympic swimmer and introduced surfing around the globe. Crowe begins in 1917 with an exciting account of 27-year-old Kahanamoku's nearly two-mile ride on a giant wave.. BOOKLIST REview
• ...father of modern surfing, who battled racism, politics and financial difficulties on his way to becoming a gold- and silver-medal-winning Olympic swimmer.. Waldrep's stunning Art Deco-style airbrush illustrations complement this rich picture.. -- KIRKUS REVIEWS
• ..Crowe depicts his encounters with racial discrimination with sensitivity, underscoring the courage and character he developed to face these setbacks...vibrant, action-filled illustrations... Well researched and fact-filled. -- "Starred Review," SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL
• An inspiring, poignant biography of the legendary surfer Duke Kahanamoku, who was also the fastest swimmer in the world for 16 years...he managed to graciously triumph over countless obstacles to become a bonafide legend -- The BLOOMSBURY REVIEW- EDITOR'S FAVORITES OF 2007
• an intense, emotional story of a champion ...well-paced presentation will draw young readers into the thrilling life of a modest champion who pioneered more than a sport's popularity and lived by the loving creed of aloha. -- Sacramento Bee October 14, 2007
• biography brings to light a seminal figure in the history of surfing and Olympic swimming. ... a portrait of a man whose humility, good nature, and hard work allowed him to forge a path of success despite a background completely lacking in privilege -- THE HORN BOOK GUIDE
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Ellie Crowe (more)
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
Video: Surfer of the Century - The Life of Duke Kahanamoku by Ellie Crowe
• Book Review: The Stolen Princess by Ellie Crowe|
• Book Review: The Boy Called Troublemaker, based on the Childhood of Nelson Mandela by Ellie Crowe|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.