Book: With Music In Their Hearts (The Spies of World War II Book 1) by Carole Browncategories: Book, World War II, Historical, Romance, Music, Civilian Spies, Boarding Houses, Ministry, Cincinnati, Radio Shows, Nostalgia, Courage, Romantic Suspense
Carole Brownabout this book: What's not to love? Romance and spies! WWII era and courage! Swirly skirts and high heels! Homberg hats and zula suits!
When Minister Tyrell Walker is refused acceptance into the military, he's angry and confused, rightly so. But when approached by the FBI to serve as a civilian spy, he accepts. Clues lead him straight to Captain Ossie's boarding house, a home run by his eldest daughter, Emma Jayne Rayner, and suspects abound right and left:
• The married couple--he's bossy and she's too timid. Surely they couldn't be involved in betraying their country.
• No one wants anything to do with Hank, the ill-mannered, ill-kept man who follows Emma Jaine and torments her with his insinuations. Surely he couldn't be smart enough to work as a spy.
• The artist Philo is too much a loner to be involved, or is that just what he wants Tyrell to think?
• The fabulously rich woman in the house is much too old to be dangerous, but her caustic tongue and smart head says otherwise.
• Jerry Patterson, the sulky and darkly handsome young man--does he have the personality to work undercover?
• The sultry and budding actress of the group seems willing to do anything to get what she wants.
• And what about Captain Rayner? What lengths will he go to protect his girls?
A motley group and all suspects.
Emma Jaine, although capable, energetic and beautiful, is longing for a love like other girls her age, but the care of the boarding house, teaching her daily music students, and caring for her father and sisters is a wear and tear on her spirit.
Unknowingly, she's caught up in the intrigue of the story and faces danger and possible heartache.
Tyrell, talented singer and pianist, desires two things: to find the foreign spy who seeks to steal plans from the ammunition plant across the river and to win Emma Jaine's heart. His plans go wrong when the young woman seems to spurn his love and is involved in several suspicious events.
This was a fun and easy book to write. Set in WWII, it offered nostalgia and romance mingling with the suspense and unrest. Emma Jaine, one of the co-protagonists, is modeled after my mother who lived during this era and whetted my interest with stories and pictures. The plot idea came from a friend of ours who served as a civilian spy during WWII.
Music plays a huge part in the scenes. Emma Jaine plays the piano for the boarding house evening gala affairs. WWII songs, both rousing renditions and romantic lyrics, are enthusiastically sung by the residents and particularly her younger sister, Claire. She fills in vacant spots of her days with teaching students the piano.
Tyrell, who studied music at Yale Conservatory, is marvelously talented in voice and has an excellent touch with the piano. Although encouraged to develop his skill, he favors ministry and his work with the government.
The music flows from the pages. The gorgeous automobiles, fashionable clothing, radio shows and hats give the novel an authentic look at the 40s. The slang . . .
baby doll, big cheese, cookie, dame, fuddy-duddy,g-man, horse feathers, spew your guts out, sugar daddy, what's buzzi', cousin? and many more . . . bring the story alive!
If you enjoy history, especially the 1940s, romance, suspense, and/or music, you're sure to love this first book in a trilogy of WW II spies.
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other book by Carole Brown
• Book Review: BRITT by Alan Hardy|
• Book Review: Good Afternoon Vietnam - A Civilian in the Vietnam War by Gary Wilhelm|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.