Book: The Zen Man by Colleen Collinscategories: Book, Private Eye Novel, Nick and Nora, Humorous Mystery, Private Detective Story, Murder Mystery, Romantic Suspense, Women Sleuths, Romantic Mystery
Colleen Collinsabout this book: Good friends who've read The Zen Man have laughed and said to me, "I saw you and your husband in the main characters!"
Well, the main characters in The Zen Man -- Rick and Laura -- are hardly like my husband and I, but there are similarities. My husband, like Rick, is a lifelong Deadhead. And I, like Laura, have never really understood what the Grateful Dead are all about. Rick, a private eye, and his girlfriend Laura fall into conducting an investigation together. My husband and I co-owned a private investigations agency for ten years, and conducted many, many investigations together (and remained happily married!). Rick and Laura have a Rottweiler -- we have two Rotties. And we live in Colorado, although not in the same town as the main setting in The Zen Man.
But otherwise, the story is fiction, one I like to call a "21st-century Nick and Nora tale." The title The Zen Man is a play on the the Nick and Nora story title The Thin Man, later made into a movie. I hired the talented graphic designer Peter Ratcliffe to create the cover, asking him to give it a retro feel from the 1930s, when Nick and Nora made their first appearance, and I love what he created.
By the way, there's a prequel, The Ungrateful Dead, in the works, available in late 2013, which tells the story of one of Rick and Laura's first dates at a coroner's conference, which evolved into their very first investigation. Yes, that has similarities to my life, too, but I'll save those stories for when I post the book.
Reviews of THE ZEN MAN
• "Great humor, great dialogue. Fans of Janet Evanovich (if she woke up one morning and took on the persona of a recovering addict/Deadhead) and Nick and Nora Charles might enjoy this story."
— New York Times best-selling author Dorien Kelly
• "I loved every single word of The Zen Man!"
— Delores Fossen, USA Today best-selling author
• "A brilliant mystery novel...I eagerly await the return of the Zen Man."
— Becky Sherriff, The Kindle Book Review
• "Move over Sam Spade, Nick and Nora; make room for a Denver who-dun-it, Colleen Collins's The Zen Man. Brilliant and fast-paced writing. I couldn't put it down."
— Donnell Ann Bell, award-winning author of The Past Came Hunting
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Colleen Collins
• Book Review: Secrets of a Real-Life Female Private Eye by Colleen Collins|
• Book Review: How Do Private Eyes Do That? by Colleen Collins|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.