Book: Imperfect Echoes - Writing Truth and Justice with Capital Letters, lie and oppression with Small by Carolyn Howard-Johnsoncategories: Book, Czeslaw Milosz, Political Poetry, Accessible Poetry, Iconoclastic Poetry, Suzanne Lummis, Human Reason Poetry, Poetry for Peace, Erudite Poetry, Poetry
Carolyn Howard-Johnsonabout this book: Inspired by Nobel Prize winner Czeslaw Milosz's poem "Incantation" that lauds the power of human reason over the reoccurring and seemingly insane political realities, Howard-Johnson holds out hope but is not persuaded by trends that seem worse now than they were in Milosz's time. A student of CzeSuzanne Lummis, UCLA poetry instructor and the Fresno School of Poetry fronted by US poet laureate Philip Levine, she touches on the isms of the world—racism, ageism, even what might be termed "wallism" but was once referred to as xenophobia. In her poem "Crying Walls," she sounds a low warning reminiscent of Robert Frost: "Chains linked. Wire barbed,/ Krylon smeared. Feeble,/ useless, unholy billboards,/ anything but mending walls."
• "[Howard-Johnson's] recollections may tear at your heart and mind until you come to 'The Story of My Missed Connection in Minneola.' I burst out laughing. This was pure comic relief amidst pathos."
— Eleanor F. J. Garmarsh, author
• "Carolyn Howard-Johnson is articulate, gifted, insightful, iconoclastic, and a truly impressive literary talent. Imperfect Echoes: Writing Truth and Justice with Capital Letters, lie and oppression with Small is an inherently fascinating, thoughtful, and thought-provoking read that is very highly recommended for community and academic library Contemporary Poetry collections . . ."
— Jim Cox, Editor-In-Chief of Midwest Book Reviews
• "Such a beautiful collection. You really touched the peacenik in me."
— Darcia Helle, Quiet Fury Books blog
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Carolyn Howard-Johnson (more)
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Sublime Planet (The Celebration Series of Poetry) by Magdalena Ball, Carolyn Howard-Johnson & Ann Howley ...|
• Book Review: Cherished Pulse - Unconventional Love Poetry (Celebration Series of Poetry Chapbooks) by Carolyn ...|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.