Book: The Lover's Portrait - An Art Mystery (Adventures of Zelda Richardson Book 2) by Jennifer S. Aldersoncategories: Book, Amateur Sleuth, Homosexual, Art History, Amsterdam, WWII, Female Protagonist, Thriller, Murder Mystery, Art Mystery, Historical Fiction, Suspense, Mystery
Jennifer S. Aldersonabout this book: Set in the Netherlands, The Lover's Portrait is the contemporary story of American art history student Zelda Richardson, who finds clues to the whereabouts of a collection of masterpieces hidden somewhere in Amsterdam, secreted away in 1942 by an art dealer who'd rather die than turn his collection over to his Nazi blackmailer. Her discoveries make her a target of someone willing to steal – and even kill – to find the lost paintings. As the list of suspects grows, Zelda realizes she has to track down the lost collection and unmask a killer if she wants to survive.
The Lover's Portrait uses the context of an art exhibition to examine issues surrounding the restitution of looted art and the intrinsic worth of artwork, as well as core values such as integrity, perseverance and sacrifice.
Extensive research into the plight of homosexuals and Jewish artists in Europe during World War II, as well as the complexities inherent to the restitution of artwork stolen by the Nazis in the 1930s and 1940s, was crucial to writing this book - and quite interesting! I was inspired to write it while studying art history in the Netherlands and used my new hometown of Amsterdam as the setting. I hope you enjoy following along on Zelda's journey and helping her solve this art mystery!
• "Intense and well written story...highly recommended and Alderson just found herself a new fan." — Author Amy Shannon, Amy's Bookshelf Reviews
• "Gripping mystery… As the narrative unfolds and the truth is revealed, the suspense is intensely magnetic and the characters equally captivating." — BookLife Prize for Fiction
• "Setting is delightful. She has captured the very Dutch nature of the city and clearly knows it well." — Tina, TripFiction
• "The novel provides thoughtful, engaging reading that keeps you eagerly following past events and present predicaments. The Lover's Portrait creates both respect and delight." — Goodreads/LibraryThing reviewer Reading Fury
• "The author's exemplary research into art works stolen by the Nazis during World War 2 is evident... she does not overdo facts; but rather, she seamlessly weaves the thought-provoking information into her tale. I highly recommend The Lover's Portrait for artists, art lovers, history buffs, historical novel fans, and anyone else looking for a well-written, enjoyable read." — Author Pamela Allegretto
• "Loved the story and the characters. Your descriptions of Amsterdam made me feel as if I had truly been there." — Facebook review
• "The well written description of wartime and present day Amsterdam and the dilemmas concerning the restitution of art, gives this exciting art mystery color and depth." — iBooks customer review
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Jennifer S. Alderson
Video: The Lover's Portrait by Jennifer S. Alderson
• Book Review: Rituals of the Dead - An Artifact Mystery (Adventures of Zelda Richardson) (Volume 3) by Jennifer S. ...|
• Book Review: Holiday Gone Wrong - An Adventures of Zelda Richardson mystery thriller series short story set in Panama ...|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.