Book: Twice a Hero - From the trenches of the Great War to the ditches of the Irish Midlands 1915 - 1922 by Phil Tomkinscategories: Book, Ireland, Great War, 10th Irish Division, Irish Independence War, Salonica, WW1, Palestine, Irish Civil War, Irish Wars History
Phil Tomkinsabout this book: Twice a Hero is a unique insight into Irelands troubled past. The dedication and sacrifice of the men who gave their youth and lives in The Great War in the belief that it would lead to Home Rule for Ireland. Then on the absence of Home Rule they entered the Irish War of Independence and eventually The Irish Civil War. The story is told in the person of Georghe Adamson a Distinguished Conduct Medal holder and hero of the Irish Free State.
• What inspired you to write this book?
I was inspired to write the book to pay homage to my grand uncle and the Centerary of the Great War.
• Who are the primary readers of your book?
Readers with an interest in the Great War and of course Irish People with interest in the Irish War of Independence and The Irish Civil War.
• How long did it take to write it?
It took me three years to write.
• How did you come up with the title?
The title derives from the fact that he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery in the Great War and by the Irish Government for his role in the Irish War of Independence.
• What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part of writing this book was that after 100 years information was thin on the ground and very hard to come by.
• Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Again, as in my book 'Once a Soldier' it was a case of 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again until you do.
• What do you want to say to your readers?
My message to my readers would be 'Through adversity to the stars'
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other book by Phil Tomkins
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: 100 Things You Didn't Know About Ireland - A Guide To Irish History and Civilization by Brighid O'Sullivan|
• Book Review: Peter's Key - Peter DeLoughry and the Fight for Irish Independence by Declan Dunne|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.