Book: Radical Survivor - One Woman's Path Through Life, Love, and Uncharted Tragedy by Nancy Saltzmancategories: Book, Inspiration and Hope, Grief, Love Story, Survivor, Humor and Healing, Inspirational Memoir about Loss and Healing
Nancy Saltzmanabout this book: Several aspects of this book make it unique among memoirs:
• The author has experienced an extraordinary number of life challenges: two bouts of breast cancer (resulting in a mastectomy and hysterectomy) before she turned forty; the loss of her entire family—husband and two young sons—in a small-plane crash when she was in her early forties; the death of her best friend in an auto accident; the premature death of her sister; losing her father to cancer and her mother to Alzheimer's Disease.
• The story is uncommonly open and honest about what one must go through in a catastrophic accident resulting in multiple deaths. Yet it also shares the strength that can be mustered when necessary, and showcases one woman's remarkable resilience in the face of ultimate loss.
• The book is enriched by letters to the author interwoven with narrative throughout the book. Most of the notes were received after the death of her family, but some are mementos from her husband and entries from her sons' journals before they died. These sentiments give the book added depth and poignancy.
• Unlike many books about surviving personal tragedy, this is not a story of religious wakening or reliance on faith. The author finds her way within and by herself, with the support and love of friends and family. Religion is not ignored, but is also not the foundation of her strength.
• Despite the sadness of the book's key circumstances, there is also a surprising amount of humor, joy and hope. As one reviewer noted, "Saltzman mixes the mundane with the morbid, and the painful with plenty of humor."
In short, this is a truly unforgettable book that is already finding a wide audience, and undoubtedly will continue to do so.
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Video: The Story Project November 2012 - Nancy Saltzman
• Book Review: I Have Lived - life from a cancer survivor's perspective by Keith E. Gerber|
• Book Review: Come Color on My Head by Cathy Keown Looper|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.