Book: Asylum - 13 Tales of Terror by Matt Drabblecategories: Book, Thriller, Murder, Mystery, Anthology, Suspense, Horror
Matt Drabbleabout this book: "Asylum - 13 Tales of Terror" was my first attempt at producing a horror anthology and it was a very enjoyable experience. I tried to make sure that I included enough development for readers to care about the characters whilst keeping the story moving and having a surprise in store at the end. I also decided to wrap a tale around the stories in order to link them together which seems to have pleased readers.
"Asylum – 13 Tales of Terror" was voted #5 on The Horror Novel Reviews top 10 Books of 2013 which was a nice accolade to receive.
Blackwater Heights is a building with a long dark history, some of it is well known but more is shrouded in myth and legend. None more so than that of its founding father Horace Whisker.
Martin Parcell is an ex-journalist with shattered dreams of an author's career. Sidelined through a car crash's injuries, he finds himself forced through governmental austerity measures having to take a custodians position at a private mental health hospital. A writer with undoubted talent, but an author without a story.
He begins his new job deep in depression and drowning under waves of his lost dreams. On his first night he meets Jimmy, his elderly supervisor who has spent most of his life within the hospital walls. Jimmy is nearing retirement age and desperate to rest his weary bones. Jimmy offers Martin a way out for both of them, access to the background histories and stories of the hospital's patients.
A collection of 13 tales from the darkly disturbed minds of the residents of Blackwater Heights. As the long night unwinds, Martin finds himself deeply troubled as the tales unfold before him and threaten to drag him down into their insanity.
• "Matt Drabble is nothing short of a genius when it comes to painting a picture of his characters and the scenes of his stories" — LITTLE BLOG OF HORROR
• "Consistently very, very strong and it's got one of the finer wraparound tales you'll spot in recent release... Like Stephen King, or Clive Barker, there's simply no telling what the man will deliver in a package of this nature..." — HORROR NOVEL REVIEWS
• "Turn down the lights, turn off the TV and cuddle up with these stories tonight - talk about being afraid of the dark!" — BOOK FIDELITY
• "It takes skill to make the short story format work and Matt Drabble has mastered it as he is able to establish both character and story in a matter of pages while conveying a sense of horror and terror" — REELYBORED.COM
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Matt Drabble
• Book Review: After Darkness Falls - 10 Tales of Terror - Volume one by Matt Drabble|
• Book Review: Gated by Matt Drabble|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.