Book: My Real Name is Hanna by Tara Lynn Masihcategories: Book, Holocaust, Ukraine, World War II, Judaica, Young Adult, Jewish Folklore, Ukrainian Folklore, Historical Fiction
Tara Lynn Masihabout this book: Recently, I've been asked a surprising number of times why I wrote this novel. Why does any writer write a book? Generally, because she or he wants to communicate something to the world. My Real Name Is Hanna is inspired by a true story about a family who hid from the Nazis in the underground gypsum caves of Ukraine. While my family is fictional, years of research went into the setting, history, food, Jewish and Ukrainian customs and folklore, geography (never my strong point), and survival skills the hideaways used. We see the war, which develops into a Holocaust, through the eyes of a young Jewish girl from a small shtetele. Why did a woman of mixed heritage (who didn't know she had Polish roots until the book was almost published) write this novel? Answer: To tell an important story that needed to be told to another generation. The novel does not revolve around the Holocaust—but the Holocaust forces Hanna on a harrowing physical and emotional journey. I hope it will resonate with everyone and leave readers in awe of just how much the human spirit can overcome.
• A Skipping Stones Honor Award Book
• Goodreads' Ultimate Fall List for YA Book Fans and a Best Book of the Month
• Julia Ward Howe Award for Young Readers
• Skipping Stones Honor Award
• Litsy Award Nominee
• Florida Book Award, Gold Medal
• Foreword INDIES Book of the Year, Gold
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Tara Lynn Masih
• Book Review: The Voyage - A Historical Novel set during the Holocaust, inspired by real events by Roberta Kagan|
• Book Review: DEBUNKING HOLOCAUST DENIAL THEORIES - Two Non-Jews Affirm the Historicity of the Nazi Genocide by Lance ...|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.