Book: The Pebble Champion by A. D. Pritchardcategories: Book, Young Adult, Gay, Bereavement, Loss, Self-Acceptance, Teenage, Gay Fiction, Coping with Death, Gay Teenagers, Gay Young Adult, Dealing with Loss, Coming of Age
A. D. Pritchardabout this book: This is the story of 15-year-old Chris Elliot who tries to piece his life back together after the death of his mother in a car crash.
During the day, as he begins his new life at the coast with his estranged father and makes friends at the new school, Chris puts on a brave face.
But at night, when his dreams become more and more unsettling, he finds himself forced to face his grief head on, and has to grapple with some very uncomfortable truths.
The Pebble Champion is a novel about dealing with grief, with guilt, with the pain of not having anyone to tell the truth to.
But it is also a story about finding ways to understand what it means to be alive, what it means to have innner strength and why, sometimes, it can be harder to hold on that to let go.
Author's note: This book is an attempt to capture the thoughts of a gay teenager immediately following the loss of a parent. It is an attempt to convey, in an authentic and very real way, the confusion, guilt and utter despair of someone who has lost the most important person in his life. Although the subject matter deals with sadness, how this teenager emerges from this trying period provides an uplifting and life-affirming message for those who have lost a loved one.
• "Well worth reading. A good coming of age tale, told with sensitivity and without the lurid sexual scenes so depressingly common for this genre." — Coffee Lover, Amazon.co.uk
• "Enjoyable. A good story, enjoyable and believable. A good emotional coming out story that delivered what it set out to be. Highly recomended." — Mr. A. Taylor "andi. T", Amazon.co.uk
• "A truly champion of books! As an experienced librarian, I have come across literally hundreds of books, but the Pebble Champion was a book I simply struggled to put down and I just looked forward coming back to it before bedtime. From the very first page, you feel transported inside of the mind of this young person going through drastic changes in his world while he experiences changes in his own persona...The narrative is simply captivating with a mixture of perfectly chosen words and a magnificent easiness in the flow of the story. I totally loved it and would recommend it to anyone!" — Vanessa Bandini, Amazon.co.uk
• "Poignant story. A deep and emotional story on a very current topic. I could feel the pain and struggles of this teenager as I read, it was so easy to emphasize with him. This story will haunt you: I still think of the characters from time to time, even though I read the book a while ago, and have since read many more. A great read." — Madeline, Amazon.co.uk
• "For anyone (young or old) who has ever lost a parent, had their heart broken, or struggled to come to terms with who they are; this book is for you." — Amazon.co.uk
• "The Pebble Champion is such a wonderful story of a 15 year old boy, you want to cry with, you want to laugh with and you want to feel with... an entertaining narrative that you can't put down." — Greedybug Reviews
• "I was gripped throughout by this beautifully written coming-of-age story, which accurately conveys the anxieties of being a teenager through clever plotting and very realistic dialogue. The setting is portrayed with skilful imagery and the characterisation of the protagonist is strong; I cared about Chris's fate from the first page. I strongly recommend this book to readers of all ages from 12 upwards." — Anna L L Jeffery
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Video: The Pebble Champion - a beautifully written book for gay teenagers
• Book Review: Community of Ones - The Search for Self after Devastating Loss by Leona Samson|
• Book Review: Lean Not On Your Understanding - A mother's journey from loss to recovery by Frances Hart|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.