Book: The All Souls' Waiting Room - A Black Comedy about Karma and Killing Yourself by Paki S. Wrightcategories: Book, Reincarnation and Karma, Visionary, Metaphysical, Literary Fiction, Psychological Novel, Inspirational, Alternative Culture, Counter Culture, Coming of Age
Paki S. Wrightabout this book: Johnnine Hapgood had a crazy childhood. No, it was REALLY crazy.
She was a sort of psychiatric guinea pig growing up in Greenwich Village during the 50's in a group of people who wanted to change the world for the better. Their motives were high-minded but they seem to have forgotten one thing: asking for Johnnine's permission.
"The All Souls' Waiting Room: A Black Comedy about Karma and Killing Yourself" is about a young girl's journey after a suicide attempt. Rather than a blissful "lights out," Johnnine comes to in the Old Vienna part of the Waiting Room, and has to confront her young life's painful memories, with one of the very people responsible: the volatile and very dead psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich.
To soften the blow of her Life Review, as it's called in the All Souls' Waiting Room, other characters are brought on board to help: five musical cherubs, who sing the song of Johnnine's bruised soul to Xofia, the gravel-voiced essence of feminine wisdom.
The shades of Sigmund Freud (Shlomo to his friends) and Carl (Gussie) Jung join in because the three dead psychoanalysts have things to straighten out, some of which have to do with Johnnine and some of which have to do with their own wounded psyches.
• The All Souls' Waiting Room, where all souls go for re-routing in between lives, has surprises in store for all of them.
• Norman Solomon: " ... an audacious send-up and a terribly serious tale ... created with unrelenting skill and unflinching memory ..."
• Michael Nagler: "Don't be fooled by the uproarious humor. 'The All Souls' Waiting Room' is a penetrating social commentary written by a wide-eyed young witness."
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Paki S. Wright
• Book Review: KARMA - The Definitive Guide to the Supreme Law of this World by Richard Andrew King|
• Book Review: The Guardians of Karma by Mohan Vizhakat|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.