Book: Brothers on the Run - Fleeing Hitler, Fighting Franco by Pat Lorraine Simons
|5 stars based on the 3 most helpful Amazon reviews|
Pat Lorraine Simonsabout this book: My father's right hand was missing the pinky finger. When I was little, he said a bird bit it off. When I asked why he couldn't move his other fingers, he gave me ridiculous answers. All I knew was his condition had something to do with a fish bone and an airplane. It wasn't until 1994, when I was fifty years old, that my father finally told me what had actually happened.
My father was eighty-one then, and I was recording his stories, as well as those of his seventy-nine year-old brother, who had just been diagnosed with end-stage cancer. I'd always wanted to write a book about the brothers' incredible escape from the Nazis, their dangerous lives as illegal refugees in 1930's Europe, and their terrifying time in the Spanish Civil War. But it took my uncle's imminent death to make me record their stories, and it took another twenty years before I found the time to research and write this book. It is meant not only as a tribute to them, but as a testament to the unconquerable human spirit.
What readers are saying:
• "What a powerful and gripping story."
• "My only regret is that it ended too soon."
• "I have read many books about that time and this is one of the best, if not the best."
• "A thrilling read. Could not put it down."
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Die in Paris - The true story of France's most notorious serial killer by Marilyn Z. Tomlins|
• Book Review: Mollie's War - The Letters of a World War II WAC in Europe by Mollie Weinstein Schaffer, Cyndee Schaffer ...|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|