Book: Greekscapes - Journeys with an Artist by Pamela Jane Rogerscategories: Book, Inspiration, Art, Illustrated, Special Edition, Greece, Plein Air, Watercolor, Poros Island, Travel Memoir
Pamela Jane Rogersabout this book: Learning to accept my heart's desires and my intuition as valid, despite difficult circumstances and naysayers is the major theme.
Several of my close friends felt that others might also be inspired by my circuitous path (without mood enhancers!) from deep grief and depression to joy, and thus I've spent much of the past ten years writing and rewriting this memoir and struggling to put my somewhat chaotic life before Greece into words. My love of art has helped immensely and keeping a diary has been an invaluable aid also. I share paintings, journals, as well as poems that sprang from exhilarated and melancholy pauses along my journey. I am brief, yet brutally honest, in relating the major stages I went though, as perhaps those will resonate with some of my younger readers. I am grateful to have been nurtured by various art mentors, dear friends and family, the enlightened country and inhabitants of Greece, my soulmate, the beauties of life that inspire my paintings, and a wonderful editor, Bryony Sutherland.
I achieved my life goal of living creatively with four major steps: first, I identified what I cherish; I disallowed the obstructions of the past; worked intently on moving closer to my dream (without a timeline); and I've continue to bask in the delight of my radiant daily present - lasting from the age of 40, when I moved to Greece, to my current age of 68. It's never too late to make a change!
Some reviews from readers:
• Pamela's love for this stunning and gracious country soaked into me, making me smile long before my feet and eyes and skin and mouth and ears beheld Greece, the welcome of its people, and all of its sensual pleasures. For me, the color and light in Pamela's paintings are a spiritual food.
• Here we have beautiful paintings, capturing the Greek light, but not about Greece exclusively, a haunting story and memoir, poetry, philosophy, and a wonderful ending (no spoilers)! A chance visit to the Sporades islands of Greece set Pamela off on a journey she never expected.
• You will relate to Pamela's challenges to maintain a traditional lifestyle of marriage and children while drawn by her creative nature to give birth to her Self. Pamela shares the subtle and not so subtle influences, both sad and happy that eventually alter the course of life.
• The combination of life on the island and the landscape itself had a profound affect on her spirit and her work to ultimately make her the respected artist that she has become. Greekscapes charts this journey.
• Charming and funny anecdotes will keep you reading as the author shares her joy of creativity and love of her adopted Greece and its people. This edition, made richer by the inclusion of her paintings, is well worth the investment.
• This is not just a fluffy "vacation to Greece" book. The author does much soul searching both before her move and during her life there.
• She captures the essence of Greece – you can breathe it in, hear and smell it. Her paintings which she has included in her book are also beautiful – I could look at them for hours.
• A personal literary journey through adversity to fulfillment is a difficult tightrope to walk without falling into the abyss of self-obsession. In her book Greekscapes, American artist Pamela Jane Rogers skilfully navigates a literary course telling of her passage from an unfulfilled life in hometown America to the realizing of her talents as an artist in Greece.
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other book by Pamela Jane Rogers
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
Video 1: Let's Go to Poros!
Video 2: A morning walk on Poros
• Book Review: Greekscapes - Journeys with an Artist by Pamela Jane Rogers|
• Book Review: Burning Tears by Lucia Trifan|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|