Book: Down and Out in Kathmandu - adventures in backpacking (Adventures of Zelda Richardson Book 1) by Jennifer S. Alderson
|4.7 stars based on the 3 most helpful Amazon reviews|
Jennifer S. Aldersonabout this book: Down and Out in Kathmandu follows the adventures of Zelda Richardson, a computer programmer teetering on the edge of burnout who quits her job to try and 'find herself'. Volunteering as an English teacher in Nepal proves more difficult than she'd expected it to be, especially when a gang of Thai smugglers suspect she's stolen their diamonds. Can Zelda find a way to get the smugglers off her back and her Nepalese students to respect her, before her time in Kathmandu is over?
Loosely based on my own experiences traveling around Southeast Asia, Down and Out in Kathmandu is meant to be a somewhat silly, slightly cynical, travel adventure story. It offers a peek into the backpacker culture of Nepal and Thailand, and insight into what life can be like for a Westerner volunteering in a developing country. I hope you enjoy traveling through Nepal and Thailand with Zelda!
• "A book I'd like to mention to any readers thirsty for some armchair adventure." — Beth Green of The Displaced Nation
• "Down and Out is an engrossing and thrilling travel mystery that was hard to put down. Alderson's descriptions of Nepal and Bangkok were very realistic...I highly recommend Down and Out, as it includes a little bit of everything readers love in good books." — Author Jill Dobbe
• "I was completely immersed in the country of Nepal; the images were vividly concocted in my mind. I recommend reading this title." — TripFiction review
• "Alderson's portrayal allows the reader to view the underbelly of the city, with all its smells and sounds, its chaos and pathos. This is a well-researched and entertaining read for both armchair travelers and trekkers." — Author Pamela Allegretto
• "An excellent novel full of travel stories for the new or current backpacker. Anyone who has backpacked, thrown themselves naively into another culture, will be able to relate to this, and should read it." — Author Kait Fennell
• "This week I went to Kathmandu for 3 months to volunteer at a Nepalese school, I've met an Australian guy and escaped the wrath of a diamond smuggler. Quite an eventful trip but I loved it!" — Goodreads Giveaway winner
• "The locale is certainly hot and steamy and successfully brings to life the trip Zelda undertakes… a good book to take to Kathmandu because it does convey the venal, buzzy feel of the city." — TripFiction
• "Funny account of a westerner's first backpacker's trip abroad. As a fellow traveler, many of the scenes were very recognizable, sometimes painfully so!" — iBooks customer
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other book by Jennifer S. Alderson
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: The Lover's Portrait - An Art Mystery (Adventures of Zelda Richardson Book 2) by Jennifer S. Alderson|
• Book Review: Transformative Travel in Nepal - Fulfilling a Dream in the Himalayas by Kate Benzin|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|