Book: Show Time by Phil Harveycategories: Book, Psychological Thriller, Survival, Reality Show, Reality TV, Survivalist, Thriller
Phil Harveyabout this book: Future viewing audiences, now totally desensitized to violence, have become entirely dependent on sensation to escape their workaday lives—an addiction happily nurtured by the media with graphic portrayals of war and crime and with so-called reality programming. Now, TV execs in pursuit of the only things they care about—higher ratings and fatter paychecks—have created the ultimate reality show: Seven misfits, each bearing the scars of his or her past, are deposited on an island in the middle of Lake Superior. Given some bare necessities and the promise of $400,000 each if they can endure, the three women and four men risk death by starvation or freezing as the Great Lakes winter approaches. The island is wired for sound, and flying drones provide the video feed, so everything the contestants do and say is broadcast worldwide. Their seven-month ordeal is entirely unscripted, they can't ask for help or they forfeit the prize, and as far as the network is concerned—the fewer survivors the better.
• "Show Time is a gripping page-turner. Reality TV has never been more frighteningly real."
— John Fremont, author, Sins of the Fathers
• "A vision of the future that is laugh-out-loud, until we realize how much it looks like the world we live in now."
— Frank S. Joseph, award-winning author of To Love Mercy
• "A thrilling immersion in the emotional, physical, and sexual reality of characters who thought they were playing a game but find they must fight to survive."
— Linda Morefield, senior review editor, The Washington Independent Review of Books
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Phil Harvey
• TV Game Show Review: The Amazing Race - The First Season with Amie Barsky, Paul J. Alessi|
• Book Review: Under a Blue Sky Sun by David Erickson|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|