Book: Love Poison by Pete Barbercategories: Book, Romance, Romantic, New Zealand, Thriller, Action, Suspense
Pete Barberabout this book: In early drafts, Love Poison opened with my main character, Amber, sitting in a woman's bathroom, trying to overcome an anxiety attack she'd suffered at the office Christmas party. Why? Well, on the one hand I was projecting--I've always felt uncomfortable at those type of 'forced' social events--and on the other, I don't recall ever reading a book that started in a bathroom, so I thought that would be unusual and funny (I have an odd sense of humor).
I had to get the poor woman out of the bathroom. And, of course, that couldn't go easily for her. She stumbles on the mushrooms, and they inadvertently overcome her awkwardness for her. Well, not quite, they offer her handsome boss up on a plate. But that confuses the heck out of her—as it should.
I set most of the story in New Zealand. I visited there on vacation a number of years ago, and loved the place. I thought it was a nice location for two people to fall in love. When I found a few online pictures of Maori tribesmen with heavily tattooed faces, I thought they would make pretty nasty villains—and they did.
Here's a sampling of how Amazon reviewers saw the story:
• I'm Australian so I have a soft spot for our close neighbour, New Zealand, and enjoyed the setting for much of the story. May have to go looking for that Island though ... (Wink, wink) — Lynette
• I thoroughly enjoyed this fast moving story which encompasses everything readers like: mystery, adventure, riveting thriller, and a romantic thrill ride. — Nancy of Utah
• The characters were interesting, the descriptive writing allowed me to see and even smell the island and sea. I read while cooking, doing dishes, laundry, and kept me up way way too late. — Sheryl
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other book by Pete Barber
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Silence of a Stranger by Elizabeth Bailey|
• Book Review: NanoStrike by Pete Barber|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|