Book: Dead Man's Hand by Luke Murphycategories: Book, Mystery, Crime-Fiction, Thrillers, Police Procedural, Action, Amreading, Goodreads, Las Vegas, Football, Detective, Suspense
Luke Murphyabout this book: What happens when the deck is stacked against you…
From NFL rising-star prospect to wanted fugitive, Calvin Watters is a sadistic African-American Las Vegas debt-collector framed by a murderer who, like the Vegas Police, finds him to be the perfect fall-guy.
…and the cards don't fall your way?
When the brutal slaying of a prominent casino owner is followed by the murder of a well-known bookie, Detective Dale Dayton is thrown into the middle of a highly political case and leads the largest homicide investigation in Vegas in the last twelve years.
What if you're dealt a Dead Man's Hand?
Against his superiors and better judgment, Dayton is willing to give Calvin one last chance. To redeem himself, Calvin must prove his innocence by finding the real killer, while avoiding the LVMPD, as well as protect the woman he loves from a professional assassin hired to silence them.
• "You may want to give it the whole night, just to see how it turns out."
— William Martin, New York Times bestselling author of Back Bay and The Lincoln Letter
• "Dead Man's Hand is a pleasure, a debut novel that doesn't read like one,
but still presents original characters and a fresh new voice."
— Thomas Perry, New York Times bestselling author of Poison Flower
Who is your MAIN target audience and why?
• Thriller readers looking for an atypical thriller hero—an African-American who is no saint.
• Sports fans will be fascinated by Watters' struggle to recover his decency and win, a kind of Blind Side story with little sentimentality and few illusions.
• A Las Vegas setting—the world of The Hangover movies and many youth films like Bridesmaids—will appeal to 20s-30s readers.
• Watters' romance with a former prostitute will appeal to younger female readers. The marital tension between Detective Dayton and his wife will interest adults. Both men and women will enjoy the twist on the femme fatale figure of the murderer's lover, who has her own schemes.
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Video 1: Dead Man's Hand by Luke Murphy
Video 2: Luke Murphy interview on CHIP FM
• Book Review: Special Agent Francesca (Undercover FBI Book 1) by Mimi Barbour|
• Book Review: The Day Las Vegas Dies by Craig Markley|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|