Book: Healthy Smoothies - Complete Guide of Diet Recipes to Increase Metabolism, Weight Loss & Detox - Plus Green Smoothies! by Amanda Lewis
|5 stars based on the 3 most helpful Amazon reviews|
Amanda Lewisabout this book: I guess this book really started years ago, after some health issues came up in our family. My husband decide to buy us a Vitamix so we could start eating more healthy. At the time, I thought it was a crazy idea. I had a great Oster Kitchen Center we had received as a wedding gift that I used daily and I was a great southern cook (thanks to my mom), what more did I need? Well, unfortunately, southern cooking may taste the best, but it certainly isn't healthy for you!
So, after another health scare, out came the Vitamix and I started experimenting. Wow - this powerful machine could do stuff my Oster couldn't touch! I'll never forget the first time I made Tomato Fennel soup in the Vitamix - that was the beginning!
There wasn't much online anything back in those days (early internet - mostly "aol" & government/education sites). Although that great soup recipe came from the Vitamix book, it was a small book. So, I started my research and found a love for smoothies.
Btw, back in the day, we didn't call them "smoothies", just fruit drinks or veggie "cocktails". But I was determined to learn how to make them and share them with my family. I wanted everyone to have their veggies and be healthy.
Then a couple of girlfriends and I decided to co-write our first recipe book in 1989. We thought we were going to enlighten the world! Unfortunately, the world wasn't quite ready to be enlightened.
Over the years, I've tried every combination of vegetables and fruit I could think of mixing together. Some were great hits - others were total bombs. I've been collecting these recipes for about 20 years. Often times, a guest would ask for my recipes and I'd copy them down on an old-fashioned recipe card. Thankfully, as the internet grew, I'd send them an email with the recipes they liked.
Then a couple of years ago, one of my girlfriends who is the registered dietician for a large hospital asked me to collect all of my recipes so she could use them for the post surgical care patients at her hospital. From that idea, my first smoothie recipe book was born. I've since written three smoothie books. I think this edition of "Healthy Smoothies: Complete Guide" is my best one - so far.
Although I have created over 200 smoothie recipes, I've expanded this book to over 75 of my most delicious smoothies (the ones most often requested) - including an entire section devoted to Green Smoothies. I've carefully reviewed the ingredients to make sure these are as healthy as we can get, with all the vitamins and nutrients we need - and still taste scrumptious! I even finally picked my own favorite smoothie - it was hard to do, too many choices.
As for the diet and nutritional information, I decided it was time to add a chapter on detoxing. I realize the craze for detoxing can sometimes go overboard. But I also think, if you take a sensible and careful approach to detoxing, it's a very healthy and effective method for increasing your long term health. So, I put a ton of research into all aspects of detoxing. I believe the final result is a well-balanced chapter with great references for you to expand upon.
In addition, I believe the chapters on nutrition, metabolism and diet are excellent, as well. To me the best way to describe this book is with a quote from a friend of mine, Dr. Rick, who says "... it has something for everyone".
I truly hope you enjoy it as much as I did creating it! Btw, I'm still using that same Vitamix . . . they just keep on going!
• "Great recipes for a fan like myself" — WB
• "... All I can say is that your recipes rock! Thanks, and my favorite is the Apple Coconut, never would have thought about putting that combination of foods together!" — T. Perry
• "While I always try to eat healthy it becomes tough every day when you have to come up with variety of things to engage your kids in healthy eating." — by Book Lover
• "As a former health car provider I am very impressed with this book... is accurate and easy to adapt into ones lifestyle...something for everyone. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in health." — Doc Rick
• "I enjoy vegetables but they can get a bit boring... I really liked the other recipes in this book too, especially the Apple Ginger Coconut Smoothie..." — Ronald
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Amanda Lewis
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Fresh and Green - All you wanted to know about Green Smoothies, Plus, 80 easy to follow recipes by Ruth E. ...|
• Book Review: 22 Kick Ass Green Smoothie Recipes - Juice Clean, Lose Weight and Tastes Delicious! by Patty Anderson|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|