Book: Lightning on a Quiet Night by Donn Taylorcategories: Book, Historical Romance, Christian Fiction, Mystery, Humor, History, Basketball, Loyalty, Vanity, World War II, Cold War, Repentance, Romantic Suspense
Donn Taylorabout this book: If you like romance, suspense, mystery, and humor in a historical setting, you can find them all in Lightning on a Quiet Night. In 1948 in Beneficent, MS, the young veteran Jack Davis shares his fellow citizens' pride in a town that has never known a felony. But when he finds the murdered body of a cheerleader in a ditch on his farm, how will he and the town reconcile the murder with their vain self-image? That's especially puzzling while Jack tries to convince the skeptical newcomer Lisa Kemper of the town's virtues. This makes for a contentious courtship that gets tangled up with the sheriff's search for the murderer. Weird pranks by the town's teenagers add even more complications. Even as Jack and Lisa discover love, they find their lives in danger. And they learn that some of the local citizens aren't as virtuous as they seemed to be. But will their discoveries lead the town to repentance? Or will it continue in vanity? And how can Jack and Lisa prevail over the unseen forces working against them?
• "Taylor's powerful historical romance is filled with passion and heart, spiced with mystery and a keen understanding of the human condition." — Publishers Weekly
• "A little history, a little suspense, a little small-town reminiscence, and a gentle romance taking shape, all rolled into one solid read!"
• "Tender and tragic! A great read!"
• "All the characters are written with subtle humor and a deep understanding of people."
• "The book is speckled with nuggets of spiritual wisdom and witty quips to keep you smiling."
• "Great style of writing and I loved the characters."
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Where Treasure Hides by Johnnie Alexander|
• Book Review: Under the Silk Hibiscus by Alice J. Wisler|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|