Book: The Silk Romance by Helena Fairfaxcategories: Book, Lyon, France, Alpha Hero, Cinderella Retelling, Fairy Tale Retelling, French Setting, Contemporary Romance, London, Romance
Helena Fairfaxabout this book: In writing The Silk Romance I wanted to create a story with a highly romantic feel - one that would sweep the reader up in the emotions of the protagonists, and make them long for the hero and heroine to reach the happy ever after they deserve, and the ending that at first sight seems cruelly unattainable.
I wanted the reader to care deeply about what happens to Jean-Luc Olivier, the French alpha hero, and the English woman he falls in love with, Sophie Challoner. To deepen the romantic feel of the novel, I set the story in Lyon, a city on the banks of two rivers, the Rhône and the Saône, and one of the most beautiful cities in France. Jean-Luc is a retired racing-driver who owns a mill in Lyon's historic silk-weaving district, where Sophie takes up a student placement.
Sophie is a young woman struggling financially to support her ailing father and younger brother. Jean-Luc is a wealthy Frenchman, who on first sight appears reserved and rather arrogant. Their worlds are so far apart, that the reader wonders how their differences will ever be resolved.
One of my reviewers described the story as "a mixture of Pride and Prejudice and Cinderella". I knew when I read this that I'd achieved what I set out to do with my story.
Here's what other reviewers have said:
• "This was a lovely dance of give and take, with Lyon and the old city, famed for silk manufacture, becoming a character in the story itself: its beauty and the unique stories told of the days when silk ruled the city..."
• "Helena Fairfax takes us into the world of illusion, power, money, Paparazzi, and shifting shadows...where a young girl paraded before her grandmere's wealthy hangers on learns at a young age what it means to be at the center of the whirlwind of disdain the wealthy feel..."
• "Let me say straight off that this book was deliciously different, and yet, comfortably similar, to many other romances. And it was the differences that made this story fresh, and kept me reading past my bedtime...until I finished the book!"
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other book by Helena Fairfax
• Book Review: The Antique Love by Helena Fairfax|
• Book Review: The Fairytale Keeper - Avenging the Queen by Andrea Cefalo|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.