Book: Anatomy of a Poet by CJ Heckcategories: Book, Adult Poetry, Memoir Poetry, Sensual Poetry, Poems about Love, Poetry about Loss, Relationships, Poetry by Women, Poetry about Life, Vietnam War Widow, Victims of Abuse, Poems of Passion, Poetry
CJ Heckabout this book: Author CJ Heck married her high school sweetheart at nineteen. A Vietnam War widow at twenty, she eventually went on to marry and divorce twice. While raising her three daughters, she secretly scribbled poetry in notebooks hidden in a desk drawer.
After being widowed, she worked as a flight attendant, an executive secretary, co-owner of a gift shop, a senior records clerk for detectives in a police station, a special needs school bus driver, and then began writing short stories, memoirs, and children’s poetry in 1998. Her first of five books was published in 2000.
Her fifth and newest book, Anatomy of a Poet was written over a period of forty years, the title chosen from one of the poems in the book which is autobiographical. The poetry is rich with personal memoir, humor, and at times is sensual in nature.
Over the course of her life, she made a lot of choices. Some were good, some not so good, but as one of the poems, “Choices”, from her book, Anatomy of a Poet, ends, "...at least I made choices. How sad for those who merely hitchhike along, never daring to choose at all."
• "This is my kind of poetry. Direct, beautifully expressed and without a hint of pretension." — Allison Cassidy
• "CJ's writing ability is a testament to her talent and passion. Her ability to craft words into emotion and movement is remarkable." — Lexy Page (Owner/Freelance Photographer at GA Page Photography)
• "CJ Heck has a beautiful way of writing that obviously touches people and provokes them to think about what she is saying ... a very difficult skill to grasp." — Lyrael Myrna.
• "Through CJ Heck's powerful writing, we experience adult themes in a profound world that is deeply sad, incredibly humorous, and sometimes intimate." — Joseph Daly
• "CJ Heck is talented and her words are enlightening and charismatic. It is a privilege and honor to read her prolific pen." — Janet Caldwell (Managing Editor, Inner Child Magazine)
• "CJ, what a gift you have. It's the littlest moments that you paint so well and spell out with glowing simplicity."
• "CJ is a writer who touches your heart in special ways. She makes you feel like you have lived her story." — James McCraney (Owner, James McCraney Financial, LLC)
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
• Book Review: Pretty Words - from a tale-spinner's heart by Harlow Clark|
• Book Review: Ring of Fire - Selected Poems 1972–2008 by Alessandra Gelmi|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|