Book: Shoe Marks by Karen Vance Hammond
|5 stars based on the 3 most helpful Amazon reviews|
Karen Vance Hammondabout this book: In 1899, Maggie Horton was the epitome of what every young woman wanted to be— married with children. She led a charmed life on her homestead in Ellensville, Texas, alongside a husband who worshiped the ground she walked on and a former lover who still desired her.
One unsuspecting day, her jealous husband swiftly ended
her life. However, there was one thing she left behind that would stand the test of time—her shoe marks. After forty-five years, they still remain in the house she once lived in as well as her undying spirit. Why? Ever since Maggie was brutally murdered at the hands of the man she loved, her tormented soul searches for acceptance and love from a family who will stay for the long haul.
Wounded on D-Day and in Operation Market Garden, retired Major Jeremy Stone, is excited about starting life over as a civilian. With a new job, he purchases what he believes is the perfect dream home for his wife Laura and two small children, Meredith and Robert. Shortly after having moved in, his dream home quickly turns into a hellish nightmare. The Stone's are faced with a decision that will affect them for the rest of their lives. Will Maggie's enraged ghostly spirit drive them away like all the previous owners before them? Or will they stay and fight the spiritual entity that surrounds them.
This is not just a story about a family and its attempt to comprehend the mysterious phenomena of the spirit world. Shoe Marks demonstrates the realities of war, love, romance, abandonment, adoption, fear, and the fight to survive.
Inspired by true events, this epic pillow grabbing paranormal is sure to put readers on the edge of their seat.
I was inspired to write this bestseller when I met the owner Jennifer Stone of the Horton House. Her paranormal story intrigued me. Learning of how the Stone family encountered frightening paranormal activity in her home, I was able to spend three days in the Horton House. Did I find paranormal activity in the house? Yes!! After two years of investigating the famous Horton House and going through court documents gathering valid information, I approached her asking permission to write the novel. After a year of hard work, I took it to Jennifer for a review of the manuscript. Jennifer Stone said with tears running down her cheeks, "Karen, you have it right."
So many ask how I came up with the title Shoe Marks. When Maggie Horton original homesteaders of the Horton House circa 1899, she was brutally murdered. At sixteen years of age, Maggie struggled to survive. To support her self she embedded the back of her shoes making two deep shoe marks in the wood planked flooring. In the Horton House to this day, her shoe marks will gorge themselves with blood.
Having a learning/reading disability combined with dyslexia, I learned something about my self and writing. I can do it! If I have one thing to say to readers, it is this..Never, ever give up.
• "Grabs your mind by its throat within the first few paragraphs and never turns loose; an outstanding read. Karen Vance Hammond’s Shoe Marks captured me. I couldn’t put this one down. It is a must!"
— Kevin Smith, host of the Kevin Smith Show
• "Tired of the same old paranormal read? Fortunately, Karen Vance Hammond brings us a breath of fresh air with 'Shoe Marks, a paranormal inspired by true events which took place in Texas.' Karen truly has a talent for enveloping her readers into the story, which surrounds Maggie Horton, a homemaker who lived during the late 1800's in Texas. The book reads like a modern day fictional novel, only this story is based on true events. Coming from a paranormal investigator of over 6 years, let me be the first to tell you that this is a must read!"
— Brad Duplechien (Founder of Louisiana Spirits and a Sy-Fi channel Ghost Hunters T.A.P.S. Assistant)
• "I had heard about this novel Shoe Marks for some time. After reading the reviews and listening to several radio interviews I couldn’t stand it any more and had to have a copy. I needed to see if this book was really as good as everyone says it is. This paranormal novel Shoe Marks is absolutely fantastic! Shoe Marks grabbed me from the first page sucking me in. You will not be able to put it down. I read it every chance I got even loosing sleep because I wanted to see what happened next. Shoe Marks is addicting to those who read it. Parts of the novel actually scared the jeepers out of me and I am a hard person to scare. As an avid reader I can say, I would not be surprised if this novel is made into a movie. It is that good. To know this best seller is inspired by true events made it even more worth my while. I love the way that Karen Vance Hammond writes and to think that this woman grew up having a reading disability and dyslexia is almost hard to believe. I cannot wait for her next novel to hit the market. I am hooked!"
— Wilma Sharp, Ontario Canada
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Visit related websites:
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
Video: Author Karen Vance Hammond Interview of 'Shoe Marks'
• Book Review: Givin' Up The Ghost (An Indigo Eady Paranormal Mystery) by Gwen Gardner|
• Book Review: The Run-Away Couple - A Passionate Paranormal Romance Bridesmaids, Weddings & Honeymoons Book 1 by Maggie ...|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|