Book: Children of the Plantation (Diana Rivers 2) by Faith Mortimercategories: Book, Murder, Coming of Age, Historical Fiction, Literary Drama, Family Saga, Mystery Suspense Drama
Faith Mortimerabout this book: This is the #2 book in the Diana Rivers Murder Mystery Series. This time the setting is lush tropical Malaysia where, Diana and partner, Steve are on holiday. Diana is approached by hotel owner, Miss Chalcot, to delve into the past and to try and unravel what really happened during a dreadful disaster which occurred during the 1960's. Was it an accident as claimed at the time...or was it MURDER!?
I was inspired to write this book as I spent 7 years of my childhood living in Malaya and Singapore. The setting is very much Somerset Maugham and I thought it a great setting for another mystery novel.
The book will appeal to most ages, primarily 35-65 of both sexes, for readers who love a good mystery suspense.
The title seemed apt - it concerns three children living on a rubber plantation and the cover is evocative of the time and place.
The hardest part in writing the book was probably finding the BEST ending...I think i have achieved this and it may come as a real surprise to some! But history dictates that this DID happen!
The research was fun and I found myself remembering lots of things I had forgotten since I was a child and I spent most research hours poring over old family photographs and the internet as backup.
So if you like something a little different then this book is definitely for you! Thank you and please let me know how you get on with your read.
• "I chose this book to read because of my relationship with Malaya which started with military service in the early 1950's and lapsed until I started to work in KL in 1991. The story covers this period and brought back many long forgotten memories."
• "Faith Mortimer is a gifted writer who not only paints wonderfully descriptive word pictures of the characters and the surrounding environment but blends them into an intriguing story. I particularly liked the way we could relate our own experiences of sibling rivalry and mysterious aunts with those of the characters who we learned to know so well."
• "I recently discovered Faith Mortimer on Facebook and I'm so glad I did. Children of the Plantation carried me to an exotic world. Diana Rivers is the perfect amateur detective. Slightly reluctant, a tad bit out of her element, and vulnerable by her pregnancy, she steps up to help the mysterious Miss Chalcot. The setting in Malaysia becomes a major player in the story. I've never been there and yet I find myself yearning to return to the lush tropical plantation hotel. BTW... the ending is a complete surprise. I love when that happens. Another reviewer mentioned Miss Marple. Diana Rivers brings that Miss Marple-touch plus her youth to this mesmerizing tale. Highly recommended."
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Faith Mortimer
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
Video: Children of the Plantation (Diana Rivers 2) by Faith Mortimer
• Book Review: The Surgeon's Blade (Diana Rivers 3) by Faith Mortimer|
• Book Review: The Assassins' Village by Faith Mortimer|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.