Book: City Different by Stephen Hazlett
|4 stars based on the 3 most helpful Amazon reviews|
Stephen Hazlettabout this book: I am an author of mainstream fiction who has always yearned to write a smart, sophisticated who-done it mystery, set in my home state of New Mexico. The ingredients for that all came together for me in the 1990's with:
– A New Mexico Indian Pueblo suing the U.S. Forest Service over a disputed Spanish land grant that the Forest Service claimed as public land
– A dubious claim of a New Mexico land developer involving water rights that would allow them to develop thousands of luxury homes on pristine land
These separate events gave me the perfect backdrop for a murder mystery wrapped in a story of blind love and betrayal, set in the "City Different" of Santa Fe, NM. The protagonist is Eddie Collins, the youthful head of a successful Internet company, who finds a murdered man in the bedroom of his home. Eddie's wife, Nina, is the prime suspect of the crime, but she has gone missing. His new mission in life is to find Nina and prove her innocence.
Eddie's amateur sleuthing leads him to a shady Santa Fe real estate development that threatens to dislodge a local Indian Pueblo from its ancient lands. The murder and the shady deal are somehow connected, and the city, with it Hispanic heritage and Southwest charm, becomes an important part of the "character" of the tale. His quest to find Nina turns into something else, and leads him to discover a part of her he never wanted to know.
• "A murder mystery with layers of intrigue. An excellent read from a mystery craftsman, CITY is worth the time."
— Shelley Glodowski – Midwest Book Review
• "I was hooked from the beginning of the story. A very nice who done it."
— Elizabeth Zguta - Independent Book Reviewer
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Stephen Hazlett
• Book Review: Nina's Time by Stephen Hazlett|
• Book Review: Finding Nina (City Different) by Stephen Hazlett|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|