Book: Dodging Machetes - How I Survived Forbidden Love, Bad Behavior, and the Peace Corps in Fiji by Will Lutwickcategories: Book, Dramedy, Peace Corps, Forbidden Love, Eat Pray Love, Star-Crossed Lovers, Fiji, Funny Adventure, Movie Memoir, Paradise, India Culture, Memoir
Will Lutwickabout this book: A quirky Peace Corps Volunteer in Fiji falls for a beautiful, rebellious, but off-limits Indian girl. When their liaison is outed, a community firestorm erupts and violence ensues. Will the besieged lovers stay together, or will a hostile world tear them apart? "Romeo and Juliet" meets "Eat, Pray, Love" in this account of two star-crossed lovers in a tropical paradise.
"Dodging Machetes" won the 2012 USA Best Book Award for Mulitcultural Non-Fiction.
The professional critics have unanimously raved about Dodging Machetes:
• "In his beautifully written memoir...he relays these memories with neither bitterness nor self-serving pity--just a good dose of humor and intelligence...Off-the-charts hysterical...an unabashed, candid memoir that continually entertains and educates."
— KIRKUS REVIEWS
• "Each page is as addicting as the last, with great emotional elements driving the story. This is a great book for those looking for a well-rounded love story with a few laughs and a lot of heart." Five Stars.
— SAN FRANCISCO BOOK REVIEW
• "Part 'South Pacific' and part adventure comedy, Lutwick's book is all heart. I cheered for him every step of the way."
— JULIA SCHEERES, Award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of Jesus Land and A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown
• "Once I started, I could not stop and yet, found myself thinking about his story and its themes long after the highlighted passages began to fade. If you enjoy a roller-coaster memoir, you'll love 'Dodging Machetes.'" Five stars.
— PEACE CORPS WORLDWIDE by LAWRENCE F. LIHOSIT, author of the bible on Peace Corps memoirs, Peace Corps Experience: Write and Publish Your Memoir
• "You do a great job of seamlessly weaving the back story and the main plot. 'Dodging Machetes' kept me from beginning to end."
— STARLA FAYE, host of Two Talk Books on LA Talk Radio in her interview with Will Lutwick
• "The beauty of 'Dodging Machetes' is not just that Lutwick tells the story of his experience with literally laugh-out-loud humor, depth, insight and candor, but that he does so with such honesty, transparency and...self-reflection...You can rest assured that it won't take long to read this book since you won't be able to put it down."
— UNDERRATED READS by Julie Kessler, author of Fifty-Fifty
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
Video: This is the summary of Dodging Machetes: How I Survived Forbidden Love, Bad Behavior, and the Peace Corps in Fiji by Will Lutwick
• Book Review: Triumph & Hope - Golden Years With the Peace Corps in Honduras by Barbara E. Joe|
• Book Review: First Love - Just Once in a Lifetime - A Memoir by Violeta Barrett|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|