Book: Our Orbit by Anesa Millercategories: Book, Fundamentalism, Appalachia, Foster Care, Alcoholism, Militia Movement, Parents in Prison, Home-Based Business, School Shooting, Abortion, Homophobia, Public Schools, Drama, Redemption, Literary Fiction
Anesa Millerabout this book: Debut novel OUR ORBIT reveals the conflict between modernity and tradition in the Appalachian corner of southeast Ohio. It engages the reader in current social issues and a real human story of connection, conflict, and community.
OUR ORBIT tells the story of two very different college-town families. Both have lived in the same county for generations, but class divisions limit contact between them until the working-class patriarch is arrested on weapons charges. Nine-year-old Miriam is thrust into foster care and comes to love her new family, but her elder brother Josh is outraged at the intrusion in their lives. Also cast adrift by these events is 14-year-old sister Rachelle, who must hide the sins of her emerging sexuality. Josh struggles to preserve their religious traditions in the face of loss and change. He directs his mounting resentment at the foster parents in a desperate attempt to recapture the past.
From Amazon customer reviews:
• An exciting psychological drama. I couldn't stop reading.
• Engaging and thought-provoking. I highly recommend it.
• I loved the characters, with all their faults. A great book.
• The author has a true gift, which makes Our Orbit a delight to read.
• Redemption and hope…smart storytelling about love & family…
• A fascinating journey through the seasons of two families…by turns harrowing and heartening.
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Lasso Me a Mom (Bluebonnet) by Stephanie Jackson|
• Book Review: The Foster Factory by David Learmont|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|