Book: The Sparrow Conundrum by Bill Kirtoncategories: Book, Satire, Black Farce, Offshore Industry, Crime, Scotland, Tom Sharpe, Carl Hiaasen, Awards Winner, Comedy, Spike Milligan, Absurdity, Humor
Bill Kirtonabout this book: This spoof crime/spy novel set in Aberdeen and Inverness, Scotland won the Humor category in the Forward National Literature Awards 2011 and was the Readers' Choice Award for Humor and Satire on the website 'Big Al's Books and Pals' in 2012. The following blurb consists simply of extracts from some of its reviews.
• '… the demon love child of Spike Milligan and John Le Carre … hysterically funny, with this weirdly tender wickedness'
• '… combines the elements of the Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe with The Biederbecke Affair and throws in Happer from Local Hero for good measure. It is killingly funny, and for those who love farce—from Scapin to Noises Off—this is utterly brilliant, divine, and classic, and couldn't be bettered.'
• '… an over the top, thoroughly hilarious send-up, brilliantly realised and tremendously enjoyable. I laughed constantly, was horrified, was admiring and totally entertained all at once. It reminded me, in the best possible way, of the work of Tom Sharpe.'
• '… a truly entertaining read. … such eloquent and flowing prose that I found myself frequently reading passages again.'
• 'Kirton is a master of the comic. Hiaasen, Bateman and Moore should be looking over their shoulder, 'cos Kirton has arrived.'
• '… unpredictable, wonderful, and hilarious.'
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
Video: The opening of the irresistible Sparrow Conundrum
• Book Review: The Barber's Conundrum and Other Stories - Observations on Life From the Cheap Seats by John Hartnett|
• Book Review: Pianist in a Bordello by Mike C. Erickson|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|