Book: Lady Joe by Mark Sahacategories: Book, Animal Rights, Western, Horses, Adventure, California, Contemporary Fiction, Friends, Cutting Horses, Rodeo, Humor
Mark Sahaabout this book: Lee Estes somehow manages to lose a champion cutting horse scheduled to be picked up by a buyer. The unsophisticated buyer only wants Lady Joe as a trophy horse to impress guests in his back yard, so Lee buys a cheap no-talent blue roan replacement. When the buyer tells Lee to enter her in a weekend cutting for photographs, he must scramble to find a blue roan cutter to substitute for his bogus horse. By chance, the only one around belongs to Jim Harrison's wife, who is thinking about divorcing Jim and has a low opinion of Lee. But Jim sees in Lee's hustle a desperate shot at saving his marriage. The boys embark on a humorous misadventure that becomes an affectionate glimpse at the sport of cutting and a trenchant comment on in the future of the horse in a world where it is no longer essential to everyday life. Goodreads says, "This sweet tale is both comic and heart-gripping."
FROM THE REVIEWS:
• "Lady Joe, by Mark Saha, grabbed me on the first page and held me until the buzzer... It was quite a ride – no less than 78 points on my scorecard." [80 = a perfect score in cutting] — National Cutting Horse Association News
• "I couldn't help thinking about Huck [Finn] when in the first pages of Lady Joe, Lee Estes never even considers telling the truth about how he lost his boss's prized cutting horse…. The hilarious tale is told with Twainian humor and warmth as well as a bit of nostalgia." — Amazon
• "Saha's writing is as down to earth as his two lead characters, and his plot is inspired. Lady Joe is highly recommended." — Readers' Favorites
• "… great storytelling, sincere and believable characters." — Goodreads
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Joe -- the Horse Nobody Loved (Burton's Farm Series Book 1) by Vicky S Kaseorg|
• Book Review: The Great Horse Breeds of the World by Bonnie Marlewski-Probert|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|