Book: Lady Joe by Mark Saha
|4.7 stars based on the 3 most helpful Amazon reviews|
Mark Sahaabout this book: How can two likable, earnest, guys get themselves in so much hot water over a horse while making us laugh in the bargain? We don’t want to spoil the fun, but put aspiring Central California cutters Jim Harrison and Lees Estes in a dice cup, add Lee’s short tempered girlfriend Sally along with Jim’s wife Francine who is seriously considering divorcing Jim and has a low opinion of Lee. Now add champion cutting horse Lady Joe who has gone missing from the Walker place on Lee’s watch, throw in two bogus blue roan mares for good measure, and shake well before rolling the dice. The boys hit the road in a desperate misadventure that becomes an affectionate glimpse at the sport of cutting and ends with a disquieting comment on the future of the horse in a world where it is no longer essential to everyday life. Goodreads says, “This sweet tale is both comic and heart-gripping!” And it likely to linger in memory long after the fun is over.
FROM THE REVIEWS:
• "Lady Joe, by Mark Saha, grabbed me on the first page and held me until the buzzer... It was quite a ride – no less than 78 points on my scorecard." [80 = a perfect score in cutting] — National Cutting Horse Association News
• "I couldn't help thinking about Huck [Finn] when in the first pages of Lady Joe, Lee Estes never even considers telling the truth about how he lost his boss's prized cutting horse…. The hilarious tale is told with Twainian humor and warmth as well as a bit of nostalgia." — Amazon
• "Saha's writing is as down to earth as his two lead characters, and his plot is inspired. Lady Joe is highly recommended." — Readers' Favorites
• "… great storytelling, sincere and believable characters." — Goodreads
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Joe -- the Horse Nobody Loved (Burton's Farm Series Book 1) by Vicky S Kaseorg|
• Book Review: Horses - A Religion by Stephen Place|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|