Book: Extreme Change by Gary Beck
|5 stars based on the 3 most helpful Amazon reviews|
Gary Beckabout this book: Extreme Change follows a young family, led by a strong woman, Beth, who leads them from decaying Detroit to N.Y.C. At first all goes well in a sub-let in the East Village. The landlord tries to get rid of them and when that fails, he sends an arsonist who burns their apartment. They have no friends or family and are forced into the horrors of the homeless system. Beth keeps her family intact, makes new, interracial friends who band together to survive terrible conditions. They refuse to go to a drug infested motel and sit-in at the office of Homeless Services, until they're sent to a mid-Manhattan welfare hotel. They find out the hard way that a ruthless drug gang runs the hotel. Beth and her friend are abducted and faced with rape and murder. Beth leads a daring escape down a dumbwaiter. Desperate, Peter persuades his ex-landlord, under threat of legal action for arson, to give him and his friends apartments. The group leaves the horror hotel to start a new life together.
• "A well-told and fascinating story with a serious message."
• "Extreme Change is a story with real depth, and an eye- opening view on what it is to be poor in the wealthiest country in the world."
• "Reading this book can make you uncomfortable, sick, or even angry, but it delivers it's message in a sweetly melancholic style reminiscent of Dreiser."
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other book by Gary Beck
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
Video: Extreme Change by Gary Beck
• Book Review: Never Letting Go - romance, suspense, and one woman's wish for the ultimate do-over by Jodi LaPalm|
• Book Review: Home Street Home - The Virginia Beach Chronicles by Georgia Saunders|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|