Book: From a Foreign Shore - Stories of History and Alternate History by Andrew Knighton
|4.3 stars based on the 3 most helpful Amazon reviews|
Andrew Knightonabout this book: From King Arthur's court to a Viking longboat, an Aztec invasion to ancient Greece, explore the unexpected corners of history. These five short stories take you to the margins of the past - to lives lived in obscurity, histories that never happened, and places where humans meet the otherworldly.
This short collection contains five stories:
• Holy Water – cynicism battles with duty as two medieval peasants try to execute a statue.
• Farewell to a Foreign Shore – a Viking leaves behind the lands he knew.
• Odin's Mirror – a warrior faces the image of his gods in an alternative Dark Ages.
• From the Sea – visions bewilder a messenger as he runs from Marathon.
• Sir Cai, the Shining Knight – an unexpected warrior appears at King Arthur's court.
From the author:
These stories were inspired by my love of history, and many years studying it. Sometimes it's fun to step outside the ordinary stories of power and politics, to see who else lives there, or to reimagine history in different forms.
From reader reviews:
"Knighton is an accomplished storyteller with an ear for dialogue that is realistic even as it is true to the time period in which he writes, and has a knack for creating breathing characters with just a few well-chosen words. This collection is sure to please the history buff and the sci-fi fan who loves stories based on the classic "what if?" motif of the genre."
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Andrew Knighton
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
• Book Review: Ocean Gods, Roman Blades by Andrew Knighton|
• Book Review: Broken Reed - The Lords of Gower and King John by Ann Marie Thomas|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|