Book: A Gentle Remedy by R A Lyndhurst
|5 stars, 1 review on Amazon|
R A Lyndhurstabout this book: A Gentle Remedy, my third novel, is a departure from the previous two, not least because it is set in late Victorian England. It is the story of a young woman, lacking in self-confidence, who much to her surprise is asked to marry an older man. She is determined to make a success of the match, but sadly finds out very quickly that marriage is not all that she supposed it to be.
The novel is romantic rather than erotic, but the story is about a marriage and I do love writing sex scenes, so there is some adult content - Georgia, the heroine,would have liked less of it!
Why did I set the book in Victorian England? I have always loved that period in history, and for a long time thought I would have been happier as a Victorian - but you only have to think about dentistry to realise that that was not a very sensible ambition. I am still impressed by their invention, their endeavour and their love of learning and progress, and I have very much enjoyed the research that I did whilst writing.
For those that are interested, here are some of the books that I consulted:
• Mayhew's London, edited by Peter Quennell (from an earlier period, but still fascinating)
• Mrs. Beeton's housewife's treasury of Domestic Information
• Punch - 1890 and 1891
• Kilvert's Diary 1870-1879
• Crinolines and Crimping Irons, Christina Walkley and Vanda Foster
• The Fashionable Lady in the 19th Century, Victoria and Albert Museum
Plus a whole host of websites which gave me a huge amount of valuable information - thank you. Any errors in the book are mine alone.
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by R A Lyndhurst
• Book Review: Looking For Jamie by Angela Rigley|
• Book Review: Only One by Barbara Woster|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|