Book: Clear As Day by Babette Jamescategories: Book, Friends with Benefits, Camping, Friends to Lovers, Summer Romance, Spicy Romance, Colorado River, Artist, Photographer, Friends, Love Story, Contemporary Romance
Babette Jamesabout this book: Clear As Day is my debut novel, a sweetly scorching contemporary romance from The Wild Rose Press, about two friends with benefits facing the fears and uncertainties of their changing relationship.
Clear As Day was inspired by the July desert heat and cool waters of Lake Mohave, a reservoir downstream from the Hoover Dam formed out of stretch of the Colorado River by the Davis Dam. I grew up in Southern California and I've always had a love of the deserts of the Southwest. I had fun with the story, adding in bits of my family's trips to the river, other camping and fishing experiences, and my own enjoyment of watercolors, music, photography, and the desert. Lake Mohave is a starkly beautiful location and lets you feel you've gone somewhere completely remote even though it's accessible in only a little over an hour from Las Vegas. My cover shows a glimpse of the shoreline. The backcountry camping site in Clear As Day is only accessible by boat and there are no amenities beyond the sparkling, cool lake water, scenic desert, and wide blue sky. You pack in what you need and leave only your footprints behind when it's time to head home. It definitely provided a challenge for more intimate scenes!
But a story needs more than a setting, and my artist character Kay appeared in her lakeside campsite, already independent, reserved, and commitment-shy. Then the man who would become easy-going, globetrotting photographer Nate showed up to disrupt her careful, comfortable rut in life. Their simple friends-with-benefits relationship proved not so simple and their conflict, love story, and their tight-knit group of friends they meet every July to get away from it all for two weeks of fun, fast boats, and fishing turned the once sweet short story into a fun, spicy romance novel.
I loved writing Clear As Day, it's been a story of my heart in many ways, so seeing this story published is a dream come true. I hope you enjoy Nate and Kay's journey to love as much as I have.
What's a girl to do when her summer lover wants forever?
Haunted by dark memories of her parents' volatile marriage, artist Kay Browning keeps her heart locked behind a free-spirit facade and contents herself with the comfortable affair she has every summer with easygoing photographer Nate Quinn.
The only trouble with her plan? This summer Nate's come to Lake Mohave to claim the lover he can't let go. He's done with the endless traveling and settling for temporary homes and temporary loves. Kay's always been more than just a vacation fling, and now he must convince this woman, who sees love as a course to certain heartbreak, to take that leap of faith and learn how safe love with the right man can be.
Come fall in love at the river.
• 4 1/2 Stars - "Though very sensual, this is still a sweet romance." —Romantic Times Book Reviews
• 5 Stars - Top Pick - "…I truly loved how Ms. James expressed so well the emotional rollercoaster of their relationship. … This book truly made me laugh, giggle and cry." —Cozy Reader, reviewer for The Romance Reviews
• 4 Stars "…if you are looking for well written story that has just the right balance of sexy, love, and romance, this is a great story for you." —The Autumn Review
• 4 Stars "I loved not only the love story this book offered, but the dynamic of the side characters as well. I don't think the friends they surrounded themselves with in this book could have been written in any better!" —Insightful Minds Reviews
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
▾ reviews voted most helpful on amazon.com ▾
Video: Clear As Day by Babette James
• Book Review: Best Friends - Better Lovers by Kelly Wallace|
• Book Review: Better Than Dessert (Dessert Dames) by Casey Clifford|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|