Book: Adventure Hilton Head - The Legend of the Dolphin Locket (Vacation Adventure Girl Book 1) by Ginger Foxcategories: Book, Chapter Book, Mystery, Adventure, Travel, Summer Reading, Vacation, Children's Book
Ginger Foxabout this book: The Legend of the Dolphin Locket is the first in the new Vacation Adventure Girl series. Written for children ages 7-12, each book features a strong female character who, through her wits and curiosity, solves a mystery while at her favorite vacation spot.
In Episode One, ten year old Maddie McKenzie discovers something is amiss after arriving at her annual summer destination, Hilton Head Island. Strange wildfires are breaking out in the forests, and her beloved dolphins are being mysteriously driven from the waters.
Determined to uncover what's behind it, Maddie finds herself transported into a magical part of the island, thrust into the center of a conflict that threatens to destroy the place she loves so dearly.
Our family vacations to Hilton Head every summer and it's a very special -- almost magical -- place for us, which is why I chose it as the setting for the first book in the series. Last summer we were in the Forest Preserve on the island and our daughter, then nine, imagined herself as a superhero while waving around large palm fronds. This sparked the idea of an adventure story set in the Forest Preserve with a strong female main character. We encouraged our daughter to write one, but she declined. Having been a student of children's literature and a freelance writer, I decided to write the story myself.
This book is the first in the Vacation Adventure Girl series. Book #2 should be completed this fall. Expect different female leads experiencing adventures in a variety of familiar vacation locales.
Amazon reader review excerpts:
• "As she overcomes her fear, Maddie meets each of the challenges, displaying leadership qualities such as confidence, empathy, and courage."
• "I am constantly searching for a series of books with confident, charming female characters for my 7 year old daughter--that don't involve princesses or fairies... This book does not disappoint and provides a story that my daughter could relate to and enjoy."
• "The book has intriguing vivid descriptions of the characters and events. It combines special real family vacation experiences with the unique fantasy adventure."
• "If I had three words to describe The Legend of the Dolphin Locket, I would say 'Adventurous, fun, and awesome!!!' " (10 year old reviewer)
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
• Book Review: Ten-Gallon Tensions in Texas - A Kate on Vacation Mystery (The Kate on Vacation Mysteries Book 3) by ...|
• Book Review: Johnny's Adventure Makes Reading Fun by Jodi Desautels|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|