Book: Beware the River (Middle School Haunts) by Kitty Margocategories: Book, Middle Grade Novel, Middle School, Ghosts, Supernatural, Young Sleuths, Boy Detectives
Kitty Margoabout this book: Gram's dementia is getting worse, so twelve year old BJ spends nights at her house to watch over her. Unfortunately, his great grandmother believes she is still living during the great depression and expects BJ to be as frugal as they were forced to be in the old days. This is really starting to wear on his nerves, until something happens to shift his focus from Gram entirely.
Is it possible that Gram's dementia could be hereditary, and that he inherited it? Or are strange things happening in her house?
BJ's best friends, concerned with his frequent what... hallucinations?... decide that a camping trip to the cabin on the river is in order. They have two goals for the weekend. One is to catch a mess of catfish, and the other is to prove to BJ once and for all that the hallucinations are only the workings of an overactive imagination. Unfortunately, before the weekend is over, they will question if they will make it out of the cabin alive.
• "The author is a North Carolina native & I being a South Carolina native could tell her writing was that of an authentic Southern author. I found myself laughing (literally laughing out loud) at some of her colorful strictly-Southern usages in this very entertaining and hard-to-put down story." — Uncle Bud
• "Thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. I think its a great read for any age. I know my grandchildren will love it." — Alina
• "The voice of the main character, BJ, is very easy to like and you jump into his head almost instantly, which is where I like to go when reading a good book! Highly recommended!" — Garrick
• "If you like Southern life you will like this book. Margo does a great job using authentic Southern dialect throughout the story." — Megg
• "I enjoyed reading this haunted tale about the adventures of BJ and his friends. I was on pins and needles wondering what was going to happen next to these poor kids." — Jackie
preview: read a sample from this book
what to read next: if you read and liked this book...
Other books by Kitty Margo (more)
• Book Review: The Dream Hiker by Padmaja Khanna|
• Book Review: The Ravenstone - The Secret of Ninham Mountain by Diane Solomon & Mark Carey|
|show list of all published reviews | subscribe to the feed|
|Home | Contact | Legal Notice | Impressum||Book Promotion | Do you like askDavid.com? | Boost Your Karma|